Saturday 21 September 2013

International Day of Peace

My calendar informs me that today is the International Day of Peace; to mark the occasion I have decided to take four items from my scrapbook on the subject of peace.

                         ______________________________________________

Peace is not the product of terror or fear,
Peace is not the silence of cemeteries,
Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
Peace is dynamism.
Peace is generosity.
It is right, it is duty.
                                          Archbishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador (1917-80)
                             ________________________________________

I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with for-thought of grief.
I come into the presence of still waters and I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light.

The Peace of Wild Things (1968-extract) - Wendell Berry - American Poet and Novelist

                                _______________________________________

Deep Peace of the Running Wave to you
Deep Peace of the Flowing Air to you
Deep Peace of the Quiet Earth to you
Deep Peace of the Shining Stars to you
Deep Peace of the Angels of Peace to you.
                                                                        Based on a Celtic Benediction

                                 ______________________________________

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me,
Let there be peace on earth, the peace that was meant to be.
With God as our Father, brothers all are we,
Let me walk with my brother in perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me, let this be the moment now,
With every step I take, let this be my solemn vow,
To take each moment and live each moment in peace eternally,
Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.

                       This was sung at the end of every service at a Church in Durham

                                      ______________________________________

1 comment:

  1. Dear Servant of God,Seeker,Holy Greetings to you in Christ Jesus Our Lord.

    I am a Servant of God from India. I have been Working as a staff member in A Christian Ministry in India.

    While I Was Searching for Some thing, I found Your Site.

    Your Writings are Wonderful.

    We Pray for You, Please Pray for Our Ministries.

    If it is Pleases to you to Know More about Works for God You Can Send me an E.mail to My address , I Can Write you Details about Our Ministries.

    Thanking You,

    In HIM

    ReplyDelete